The Erickson Hotel, constructed in 1895 and now on the Board of National Historic
Registration, was nearly destroyed by a fire in the late 1970s. MCA Architects was
commissioned by H. Naito Properties to restore the building and retrofit it for fire and
life safety. The project entailed design of open retail on the basement and ground floor
levels, a second-level mezzanine designed for an advertising museum, and office area
on the third floor. The project also included design of stairs, elevators and restrooms,
as well as exterior rehabilitation.